Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Portrait Light Practice



I've been working on portrait lighting. I need a few basic set ups so I can get consistent results. As long as my set up is proven effective, I can work on clothing and poses and details. What I'm finding out is, practicing lighting also means, to me, sculpting the person who's portrait your creating. I like the drama. Soft light with a bit of a rim light or hair light for separation. Sometimes, just one light. I think its still all a matter of your creativity. If the portrait works and whoever is having it done likes it, thats all that matters. I just go for something extreme. I used to think certain lighting set ups were boring. But I also used to think if only I had one more light..or a snoot instead of a barn door. I'm like a kid. I cant wait to get my stuff, but after awhile, I see a picture by someone else who has different stuff and then I want that stuff too. So now, I'm learning to use what I have and do it well. These two portraits were done with 2 AB800's, one thru a beauty dish and the other thru a barn door. The color portrait was done the same way, except that I used a translucent material to shoot the Ab800 as fill.

No comments: