Thursday, November 18, 2010

Inanimate Objects


I get bored and nobody is around so I do it. Nobodys looking. So I pull out an inanimate object and take a picture. And yes,it teaches you about photography. How do I light a light bulb? Whats interesting about it? Can I make it interesting? Who am I talking to?
When I photograph a person, you get to know certain lighting set ups and you typically fall back on them. Not that its bad. They work and you can make slight adjustments and create amazing work. Key light, fill, hair, rim,etc. However, photographing something that is 'not' what you usually photograph, again, causes you to think. Not 'how should I' light it, but 'how CAN I' light it. Your creative muscle is like any other muscle. You dont use it, it will atrophy. Our comfort zone doesnt teach us anything. We're not meant to get too comfortable. When you do, its a signal. GET UP! Its not so much about choosing a certain path, its about not standing still.
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. "

No comments: